Beginning October 3, 2016, any revised plans requiring an additional plan review approval to an original application will be charged a minimum $60.00 for dwelling projects and $30.00 for addition projects.
Significant additional square footage or additional project costs may result in additional permit fees as well.
If you have any questions, please contact Andy Wright at (302) 855-7860 or via email at email@example.com.
Beginning May 1, 2014, the Sussex County Building Code Office will require plans sealed by a Delaware registered architect and/or a Delaware-licensed professional engineer for all commercial plans, including new buildings, additions, renovations, and remodeling. The requirement is in compliance with Ord. 2335, adopted by the Sussex County Council in January 2014.
Sealed plans require at least one original inked stamp or raised seal with the design professional’s signature and a Delaware stamp.
Any design professional not licensed in the state of Delaware may contact the appropriate agencies listed below for additional information.
- Delaware Board of Architects at (302)744-4500.
- Delaware Assoc. of Professional Engineers at (302)323-4588 or www.dape.org.
Any questions regarding this requirement should be directed to the Sussex County Building Code Office at (302)855-7860 or Chief Code Official Andy Wright.
Sussex County uses the 2012 International Residential Code for single-family home construction and the 2012 International Building Code for multi-family and commercial construction projects.
For questions regarding building code inspections, call (302) 858-5500 between the hours of 7:30am - 3:30pm.
Code books can be purchased through the International Code Council at the following links:
Sussex County has adopted a list of exceptions to the IRC, which can be found here.
Other code related matters:
- As of November 11, 2014 the State of Delaware requires all new homes and commercial buildings to comply with the 2012 International Energy Conservation Code. All new home or commercial building plans submitted to Sussex County must be designed to the 2012 IECC and have a compliance worksheet such as a "REScheck" or "COMcheck" accompanying all plans. A "Manual J" and a "Manual S" will also need to be submitted with all new home plans. For more information, visit the Delaware Division of Energy & Climate website at www.dnrec.delaware.gov/energy.
- Regulations and inspections for plumbing are governed by the State of Delaware Division of Public Health. For more information, call (302) 856-5122.
- Regulations and inspections for electrical installations are governed by the Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office and the State Electrical Board. For more information, call (302) 856-5298 (Fire Marshal's Office) or (302) 744-4500 (Electrical Board).
- Model Energy Code Computer Software for ResCheck Residential & ComCheck Commercial can be ordered from the State of Delaware Energy Office at (302) 739-9072 or can be found online at www.energycodes.gov.
- Building Permit Information
- Manufactured Home Placement Permit Information
- Roll Back Transmittal Form-Farmland Assessment
- Board of Adjustments and Appeals
|Chief Code Official||Andy Wright|
Building Code Office