- Both applicants must appear together when applying for a marriage license. The marriage license may be obtained during the hours 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Sussex County Administrative Building, Room 226, Second floor, 2 The Circle, Georgetown, Delaware. If you are unable to make it during regular business hours, please call (302) 853-1717 to speak with the Chief Deputy to schedule an appointment, based on availability.
- Each applicant is required to show a valid photo identification. The identification may be a driver’s license, a State-issued identification card, a passport or a military identification. Proof of residence is required if requesting the Delaware Resident fee.
- You must be at least eighteen years of age to apply for a marriage license.
- Applicants may not be related to each other.
- Applicants must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- No blood test is required.
- If a female applicant is divorced and legally reclaimed her maiden name, we require the original, true copy or a certified copy of the name change court papers. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- If either applicant has been married and the marriage was terminated by divorce or annulment, we require the last divorce or annulment decree. It must be signed by a Judge and bear a seal indicating that it is the original, true copy or a certified copy. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- If either applicant has been married and the marriage was terminated by death, we require the original, true copy or a certified copy of the death certificate. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- You will need to know all prior wedding dates.
- If either applicant is on probation or parole, they must have written permission to marry from their probation or parole officer.
- Birth certificates are not required but helpful in the process. If you don't have one handy, please know the following information when you come in for an application:
- Father's first, middle and last name
- Mother's first, middle and maiden last name
- State or Country of birth for both parents
- State or Country of residence for both parents
- If either applicant requires an interpreter, they must provide their own. The interpreter must be at least eighteen years of age There is a part-time Spanish-speaking interpreter working in the office, please call (302) 853-1717 to find out their availability.
- The marriage license is valid for 30 days, based on time of application. Keep in mind, if you apply online, your time of application will be the time that you complete the application process in the office. It must be used in that time period. It is only valid in the State of Delaware. The waiting period is 24 hours (based on time of application) for all applicants.
- Please allow at least 20 minutes for the marriage application process.
This option is for applying for a NEW marriage license. If you need a certified copy of a license for a marriage that has already taken place, see Certified Copies of Records. Note: The military fee waiver cannot be used for online applications; you must apply in person to receive the waiver.
Have your credit card and photo I.D. information ready before proceeding with the ordering process. For an online marriage application, all blocks must be filled in before completion. Once it is filled in completely, your online license application will be processed. You will NOT receive anything in the mail regarding this transaction.
Are you currently on Probation or Parole? If yes, you must have the Department of Corrections authorization to apply for a marriage license. Are you in a prohibited degree of relationship or party to a previous civil union or legal domestic partnership? Related in anyway to one another or still married to someone else? If yes, you cannot apply for a marriage license. Please call our office for further information at (302) 853-1717.
You are ordering your marriage license from the Sussex County Marriage Bureau. It must be picked up by BOTH applicants at the Sussex County Marriage Bureau and can be used anywhere in the State of Delaware.
When you pick up your license, you cannot be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The 24 hour waiting period from issuance of license to use of a license still applies when ordering online and that time frame begins at the time that you pick up your license from our office.
Before completing an online order, make sure your information is accurate. Once the order is placed, the information cannot be changed or corrected. If you re-enter Go Certificates after the completion of your order, you will be generating a new order and will be billed accordingly. Please check your entries for accuracy before completing your order. Online orders submitted after 4 pm Friday through 8 am Monday will be processed on Monday.
In addition to your purchase price, your credit card will be charged $14.95 by Go Certificates for processing your order.
All transactions are final and no refunds will be given for application fees. Ceremony fees may be transferred to another date for good cause.