Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who handles landlord-tenant disputes?
    Justice of the Peace Courts (State of Delaware, not Sussex County)
    Justice of the Peace Court 17
    (302) 856-1445

  • When do I need to vacate the home after a Sheriff Sale?
    After confirmation: To find the date, go to the next calendar month, count 3 Mondays, then go to that Friday. That is the date by which you must vacate the home.

  • If I buy a monition property instead of mortgage foreclosure property, when can I take possession?
    You cannot take possession until 60 days after confirmation (this is a total of approximately 90 days).

  • How do I find out which properties are being sold?
    Properties to be sold are posted in a variety of locations. Full list of advertising locations

  • When and where are the Sheriff Sales held?
    Sheriff Sales are held the third Tuesday of every month, promptly at 9:30 a.m. (with the exception of Goods & Chattels Sales), at the Sussex County Sheriff's Office location, not at the property location.
    Sussex County West Complex
    Main Conference Room - 2nd floor
    22215 Dupont Boulevard (Route 113 North)
    Georgetown, DE 19947

  • When I am interested in a property on the Sheriff Sales list, can I see it prior to the sale?
    No. All properties are bought sight unseen. You are not allowed on the property until after confirmation.

  • How and when can I register to bid for a sale?
    Registration is from 9 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. on the morning of the sale, at the Sheriff's Office.

    To register, you need a valid ID such as a driver's license or passport and $4000 cash or cashier's check. We do not accept personal or business checks.

  • Sheriff's Office addresses:
    Regular USPS Mail:
    PO Box 948
    Georgetown, DE 19947

    Overnight (FedEx/UPS):
    22215 Dupont Boulevard
    Georgetown, DE 19947

    We do not have a mail receptacle at this location. The PO Box must be used for regular mail.

  • What is the 4% Council fee amount?
    It is 4% of the final bid amount at the sale. Minimum: $500, maximum: $10,000 (Ordinance 1921)

  • What number do I call for animal control issues?
    Delaware Office of Animal Welfare
    (302) 255-4646

  • Who do I call regarding piled-up trash and/or debris on a property?
    Sussex County Constable
    (302) 855-7819